Saying yes in English opens up lots of opportunities! You can try new foods, confirm that you understand something, accept a new job, and continue a conversation with a friend. But knowing how to say yes in English isn’t just about the word yes.
Learn how to say yes in formal and casual situations, and discover how the words maybe and no can give you different results.
Table of Contents
How should you say ‘yes’ in English?
Yes is one of the most important English words you’ll learn. It answers questions in a positive way, which helps with communication in speech and writing. Yes can have any of these meanings:
- I understand
- I agree
- That is correct
- I would like that
- I’m excited
- Answering a “yes” or “no” question
But yes isn’t the only way to make these expressions. Depending who you’re speaking to, you may hear any of these words or phrases that also mean “yes” in different contexts.
| Yes in English | Pronunciation |
| absolutely | ab-suh-LOOT-lee |
| certainly | SUR-tn-lee |
| definitely | DEF-uh-nit-lee |
| of course | uhv KORS |
| okay | OH-kay |
| sure | shur |
| uh huh | uh huh |
| yeah | yah |
| yep | yep |
| yes | yess |
| yup | yuhp |
How to answer a question with yes
You can reply to someone’s questions with just these words. For example:
- Can you help me?
- Yes.
- Do you like salmon?
- Absolutely.
- May I have a cup of coffee?
- Of course.
- Is the bank nearby?
- Yeah.
You can also add a confirming or clarifying statement to answer the question more thoroughly.
- Can you help me?
- Yes, I can help you.
- Do you like salmon?
- Absolutely, I love salmon.
- May I have a cup of coffee?
- Of course. Here you go.
- Is the bank nearby?
- Yeah, it’s across the street.
Formal ways to say yes in English
If you’re speaking in a more formal setting, such as work, school, or with people you don’t know, you can use these options to say yes in your English conversation practice.
Yes
Yes is the easiest way to answer someone’s question positively. It works well in both formal and casual situations, although it may sound more formal than other options. For example:
- Are you sick?
- Yes, I’m sick.
- Have you seen this movie?
- Yes, I’ve already seen it.
You can also be more polite in your response by saying yes, please.
- Are you ready for the bill?
- Yes, please.
- Would you like some cake?
- Yes, please.
Of course
When you answer with the phrase of course, you’re saying yes to a request or question. This option is a little stronger than a simple yes.
- Will you be at work this afternoon?
- Of course. I’m presenting my idea for a new video game.
- Are you going swimming today?
- Of course! I always go swimming after work.
Absolutely/Definitely/Certainly
The words absolutely, definitely, and certainly have a similar meaning to the phrase of course. They’re a good way to answer a question or request with a strong yes in English.
- Can I borrow your car?
- Absolutely. It’s parked over there.
- Do you want to go to the party with me?
- Definitely! I’d love to!
- Can you repeat what you said?
- Certainly. I said, “The train is coming in one hour.”
Casual ways to say yes
If you’re talking with friends or family members, you may want to use more casual phrases to say yes in English. These words and expressions are better for casual situations than for work or more formal places.
Yeah
Yeah is a common way to say yes when speaking in English. It’s a more casual version of the word yes, and you’re more likely to hear it when talking to younger people.
- Is this your dog?
- Yeah. His name is Harold.
- Did you win the game?
- Yeah, but the other team played well.
Okay/OK
When you’re studying how to learn English, you might see the words okay or OK in written or spoken conversations. They mean exactly the same thing, and you can use them both as a casual form of yes. OK is more common in texting or typed communication.
- Let’s go to the park.
- OK.
- Do you want to go to a restaurant?
- Okay. Meet me at eight p.m.
Sure
Some English speakers say sure when they’re answering yes to a question. It usually means “That sounds good to me,” or “You have permission to do something.”
- Would you like to go to the game?
- Sure!
- Are you free on Saturday?
- Sure, I’m free on Saturday.
Yup/Yep
Both yup and yep are very casual ways to say yes. You can use them with friends or in casual situations when you’d say yeah.
- Do you have a boyfriend?
- Yup. His name is David.
- May I have another cookie?
- Yep. There are lots of cookies.
Uh huh
Uh huh is a very casual English expression that means yes. You’re more likely to hear someone say it in conversation instead of reading it in a book. Uh huh is more of a sound than a word, so if you’re still working on English pronunciation, you may want to say yes or another option.
- Is it raining today?
- Uh huh. You should bring an umbrella.
- Did you have a good time at lunch?
- Uh huh. All my friends were there.
How to say ‘no’ in English
Now that you know how to say yes in English, you can learn how to say no as well! No answers negative questions and is a common word in English negation sentences. Options to say no in English include:
- no
- no way
- nope
- I’m afraid not
- no thank you
You can also use some yes answer words with the word not to mean no.
- absolutely not
- definitely not
- certainly not
- of course not
When should you say ‘maybe’?
The English word maybe is another answer to a “yes” or “no” question. It means “I don’t know” or “It’s possible.” You can use the word maybe when you’re not sure about the answer to the question.
- Is the homework due today?
- Maybe. It might be due tomorrow.
- Does Charlotte live around here?
- Maybe. She might also live downtown.
When you use the phrase maybe not, it has a stronger negative meaning. It shows the reader that you think the answer is probably no.
- Should I go out tonight?
- Maybe not. It’s already very late.
- Will the weather be hot tomorrow?
- Maybe not. It wasn’t hot today.
Say yes to learning English like a native speaker
Saying yes in English is an important skill for English learners. It answers everyday questions, shows people that you understand them, and helps make connections in conversations.
Next, discover how to say “yes” in different languages besides English, and continue working on conversational skills with important English grammar rules to remember.
0 Commentaires